Monday, February 14, 2011
Who do You Love?
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Between school, work, and extra circular activities there isn’t a whole lot of time in my house for Valentine’s Day. We celebrated this past weekend instead, taking the kids to Build a Bear and lunch – then I bought a new pair of tennis shoes for my Valentine’s present…romantic, huh? So, I’ve decided that I will start my own Valentine’s tradition.
My thought was that once the kids have gone to school, I would find my secret stash of chocolate, and my favorite book. But then I thought if I tried to read a whole book I would be very pruney when I got out of the tub. So maybe I should just make a little pile of the ones with my favorite couples and just read all the good parts? Brilliant idea if I do say so myself!
Now, what scenes and couples? That is probably as hard as picking my favorite book. Here are my top five couples. (And I stayed away from the classics for this one, because I wanted escape!!)
1. Zsadist and Bella from JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I make no secret of the fact that I am a Z girl to the core. There is something about that completely damaged man that just draws me in. And the tats, and piercings, and the shaved head, and his sheer size (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)…I would trade hubs in in a heartbeat for Zsadist! Normally this would make me automatically dislike his mate (in my head I live in Bookworld, where I’m thin and young and available to all the gorgeous heroes – and a few villains too.), but I actually really like Bella too. I like that she is smart and strong and doesn’t take any crap from Z.
And ironically enough, Z happens to be the STAR of one of my mostest favorite smexy scenes! Z’s “discovery” of himself and allowing himself to enjoy touching himself for the first time when Bella catches him…and she tells him to keep going! GAH!!! I’ve never wanted to be a fictional character more in my entire life!
2. Edward and Bella from Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series. I know, I know, but Edward an Bella made me remember that feeling of falling in love. I’ve been married for 21 years, and some days it’s nice to remember why I fell in love with my husband and those days back when it was all new. Twilight did that for me. I will say, though, and if you saw my inspiration, you’ll know this is true…I’m not team Edward OR team Jacob – I’m TEAM EMMETT!!
Unlike most, my favorite kinda sexy scene from Twilight is not the “leg hitch” in Eclipse (though that one is nice). The one that takes my breath away every time – and that they left out of the movie – is when Edward is trying to get Bella to run with him before the baseball game in Twilight. When he pins her against the Jeep and is trying to “erase her memory”. Yeah, that one to me is soooo sexy! Picturing him running his nose along her pulse point, and Bella’s reaction to it? Get’s the heart racing!
3. Vane and Bride from Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter Series. Now, I do like the Dark Hunters, but there is something about Kenyon’s Weres that I really, really love. Vane and Bride are my favorite because I love that Bride is a bigger girl and even better that Vane loves her like that. I think that unless you are supermodel thin, we all have self conscious body issues, and so relating to Bride is easy. All she wants is to be thin and accepted, and she can’t understand why Vane – drop dead gorgeous – would want to be with her. Which brings me to my favorite Vane and Bride moment. It isn’t really a smexy moment, more a sweet moment. I love when Vane tells Bride what he is and what he can do and she asks what kind of magic he can do. When he says anything, she asks if he can make her thin. Vane’s response? “Sure. But why would I want to.” Now, come on ladies! Who wouldn’t want you’re man to say that to you?
4. Qhuinn and Blay from JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I don’t normally choose to read same sex relationships, but there is just something that I really love about these two. I don’t know if it is because they have always been friends and that is now turning into more. Or if it is because I have an image of Qhuinn in my head and the idea that he would love Blay the way that Blay loves him is totally incongruous to that image (and I’m a sucker for juxtapositioning!). I just don’t know. The only thing that I know is that I loved when these two had their first kiss after the fight with the Lessers and Qhuinn told Blay that is all they would ever have, while he imagined much, much, more because he loves Blay too much and he knows he would hurt him.
5. Finally, Stephanie Plum and Ranger OR Morelli from Janet Evanovich’s number series. If I’m forced to choose, I’m a cupcake girl. BUT…at this point in the series I just want Stephanie to get some and I don’t care if it is with Ranger or Morelli! In the end, I believe that she can’t end up with anyone else besides Morelli, but while they are on a “break” she needs to be all over Ranger and enjoy him for a while!! I can’t pinpoint my favorite smexy scene in the series, but I remember the first time I realized that Stephanie and Ranger were “busy” and I had to go back and re-read the part because I was cruising along and then all of a sudden Ranger’s head popped out from under the sheets! WELL HELLO!! Funny and sexy is one of my favorite combinations!!
I’ll be in the tub for a few hours catching up on my favorite couples and looking for new ones!
Hope everyone enjoys their Valentine’s Day today no matter how you celebrate it!!